Today is the final day of the first week of Phase 1 of the Injustice Boycott. I am exceedingly proud of what we’ve accomplished. Tomorrow I will send us a Week 1 Review and we will ramp up our actions significantly in Week 2.
As you may know, Phase 1 of the Injustice Boycott lasts until King Day (January 16th) of 2017. We now have just about 5 weeks left. These next 5 weeks are all about us doing 5 things:
1. Educating our large national audience on the issues of injustice in Standing Rock, San Francisco, and New York City.
2. Putting pressure on government officials to enact the reasonable and humane reforms being requested by local activists in Standing Rock, San Francisco, and New York City.
3. Building our own capacity and infrastructure to prepare for Phase 2.
4. Introducing you to local activists and organizations in Standing Rock, San Francisco, and New York.
5. Showing you the power of our large team working together in one direction in one local city.
Today, as you can, please read the following articles and reports:
In the wake of a scandal in which over a dozen officers in the SFPD were discovered to have sent outrageously racist and violently threatening text messages with one another, a Blue Ribbon Panel was formed to investigate those officers, their cases, and the broader issue of systemic racism and injustice deeply embedded in the police force.
- Here’s the website for the panel.
- Here’s an executive summary of their report. Start on Page 8 if you are in a hurry, but please check this out. The full document is also on their website, but it is nearly 250 pages of dense legalese. Start with the executive summary ok.
- Here’s a smart local breakdown of the report. They made 72 findings and 84 recommendations. READ THIS. Again, this is a panel of respected scholars, judges, attorneys, and leaders.
- Here’s a recent local update on the reality on the ground – which is that the local government, the local Mayor Ed Lee, and the San Francisco Police Department have absolutely failed to act on any of these findings or recommendations. It’s outrageous honestly.
We will save our public actions for San Francisco for tomorrow, but I want you to understand what we are fighting for and what we are up against. The “progressive” leaders of San Francisco should be ashamed of themselves, honestly. It’s all amounting to a bunch of hot air. Both victims and local voters deserve so much more.
Have a good day everybody.
You might also like
More from Activism
PETITION BACKGROUND Alert: The GOP is going after Medicare. President-elect Trump is trying to pull a bait and switch. Trump pledged to …